David C. Shelley Jones, LISP 2nd Half 2021 Short Story Finalist
LISP 2nd Half 2021 Short Story Finalist 'Personal Best' by David C. Shelley Jones
- Can you please tell us about you and your daily life?
Sydney doctor. Married. 3 children ( 19 to 24). Now in part-time medical practice. I write every afternoon. I like to spend time in a caravan in remote bushland with family, friends and a dog.
- When and how did you get into writing?
Little time for writing until 5 years ago.
Bath Short Story Winner 2018, Short-listed Bedford x3.
Winner of national short story competition for doctors only ( love this comp. – limits the field!)
- How often do you write? Do you have a writing routine? And what inspires you to write?
I just have ideas and characters that want a life. If I don’t realise my characters, they don’t exist – so, it is a burden of responsibility!
- How does it feel to have your work recognised?
Better than most things.
- What's the best thing and the most challenging thing about writing a Story?
Choosing words, choosing structure
- How did you come up with the idea for your LISP selected story? Is there a story behind your story? And, how long have you been working on it?
I was a surf lifesaver. Someone drowned on our patrol. Also trips to the setting of story.
- Can you please give us a few tips about writing a Story?
It takes a lot of drafts
- What's the best thing and the most challenging thing about competitions?
Short-listing or winning is the best. Pleasing diverse literary tastes.
- Lastly, do you recommend the writers give a go on LISP?